Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I just turned 46 years old. I had sex March 14. At that time

Customer Question

I just turned 46 years old. I had sex March 14. At that time I had a period afterwards and decided to stop taking the pill. I have had no sexual intercourse since that time. I have not started a period. I took 4 home pregnancy tests for the last few weeks and all were negative. I did see my doctor, she also gave me a urine test. She tested my blood to see if I was peri menopausal. The tests came back that said I was peri menopausal. She did not do a pelvic exam or blood test for pregnancy. She put me on progesterone for ten days and I have not had a period. I took the medicine for ten days and now on day 3 after taking the meds. Should I be concerned about a pregnancy? I do not have any symptoms and have never been pregnant but concerned. I feel as though my doctor should have performed a pelvic examination. I see her again in 3 weeks.
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still don't see an answer, but paid?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
Hi sorry for the delay. Sometimes the right expert is not on-line.
With negative pregnancy tests, the period skips are not from a pregnancy. Pregnancy tests are VERY accurate. Sometimes on-line you will read about women being pregnant with negative tests but this is not what is going on here.
Your doctor should also check for thyroid disease and elevations in prolactin hormone. Both of those can cause skips. But at age 46, with "perimenopausal" blood tests, it's quite possible the skip is from lack of egg release.
Three days is too soon to tell if the progesterone worked or not. Usually I tell women to expect bleeding within 7 days of finishing. If there is still no bleed, most likely there isn't enough estrogen. This can be from being perimneopausal, being thin, eating disorders or excessive exercise. There are a few other rarer conditions that can cause this.
But in this case pregnancy? no.
I hope this was helpful and reassuring. Please reply if I can clarify anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
okay thank you. I see so many things on line about women my age having negative tests and then being pregnant and it is very scary. I took 4 urine tests and home in the last 3 weeks, and 1 at the doctor's office. 2 were first thing in the morning and 2 in the middle of the day. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes, false negative tests are possible only very early in pregnancy within 14 days of conception and up to 21 days after conception if a woman has been drinking a lot of water before taking the test. Using the first urine of the morning concentrates the pregnancy hormone and decreases the risk of false negatives. In your case, there have been enough pregnancy tests that we can be 100% certain that pregnancy IS NOT the cause.
Anything else I can help with today?
If not, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks.