Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

1. Can fibrothecoms reoccur? 2. If so. How soon after having

Customer Question

1. Can fibrothecoms reoccur? 2. If so. How soon after having one removed could it start growing again? 3. How frequently would this happen if it did?
My history: I had my ovarian mass removed about 2 months ago at which point they diagnosed it as a fibrothecoma. So my understanding of it is a rare but benign ovarian tumor. Starting about 2 weeks ago I have noticed that I am having some of the same symptoms such as just an achy RLQ pain that is occasionally worse with activity. There were more symptoms last time but this is all that I have noticed so far. I realize that these vague symptoms could be attributed to anything but they stopped after I had the mass removed and have now just began to recur. I don't want to go back to my provider just because I think its growing back and sound like a crazy person. Especially since there are other things that could cause the same symptoms and just coincide.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Fibrothecomas of the ovary are fairly rare, so we don't have a great deal of experience with them. In one study, there were recurrences in only 2%, returning more than 4 years later.
So it would be extremely unusual for the fibrothecoma to be back so soon, unless it wasn't completely removed at the time of surgery. As careful as we try to be in removing an ovarian mass, there is a small chance that a slight part of it is missed, and that could grow again.
As you say, lots of things can cause some RLQ achy pain. It's probably reasonable to give it a little time and see whether the pain disappears on its own. If it doesn't, then it's worthwhile to see your doctor for an ultrasound, just to be sure the tumor isn't growing back. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your response! I plan on waiting to see if it changes or goes away. My OBGYN was really kinda excited about it. Me on the other hand was not overly interested in it (-:

It's always exciting for us to see unusual things, but I understand why you didn't feel the same way. Most likely you're done with it, but time will tell.