Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My breasts have been sore week now

Customer Question

My breasts have been sore for a week now and started a couple days after I ovulated. This whole week that they have been sore, I have also had brown discharge that looks like old blood for about a week. Last night I had a small amount of red blood. I am about 9 days (according to my app which is usually very accurate) from when my period is due and I am extremely moody. I have felt a little cramping on and off. I have been stressed lately. I just do not feel like myself. Occasionally nauseous too.Do you think this sounds like an early period or pregnancy.? It's very different from my usual cycle.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
How old are you?
Do you use anything for birth control? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I am not on birth control and I am 29
It sounds to me like you didn't ovulate this month. When a woman doesn't ovulate, her ovaries may continue to be stimulated by the pituitary, which can cause high estrogen levels (after ovulation, estrogen drops). The high estrogen can cause breast soreness and nausea and other symptoms of pregnancy.
When a woman doesn't ovulate, she can also experience spotting, since the lining has built up and can bleed a little.
Not ovulating is common, often due to stress but sometimes from other things. It usually takes care of itself over time. If you wish to become pregnant, then you might wish to see your doctor for evaluation.
If your next period is late, that won't be surprising, since ovulation is what causes the next period to come 14 days later.
Symptoms that are due to pregnancy don't usually start until around the time of the missed period. Best wishes.