Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I learned today as part of a pharmacology class that

Customer Question

Hi, I learned today as part of a pharmacology class that estrogen in birth control pill can increase the risk of breast cancers. I am now taking a birth control with norethindone acetatr ( Loestrin lo fe) for the past two months and i was just thinking
that maybe I should stop this in the near future. I am 28, obese- bmi 30, no breast cancer history in the family and I do have PCOS. I just wonder if this birth control is good for me. I am on it for longer than 3 months. Does this make any sense to continue?
I read research saying that loestrin active ingredient can increase breast cancer risk with 60 percent. Is this true???
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Estrogen in a low dose birth control pill like the one you are on does not increase your risk of breast cancer. If you have pco, you are more at risk being off the pill due to chronic anovulation. It does not make sense to stop the pill for this reason at all.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You means loestrin?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mean
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Then why are they saying it causes breast cancer?
In fact I had a mammary Doppler test and they said I am fine they only found a cyst that is 5.4 mm and they said those are common and probably due to hormones and the pill. Can that transform? Why do you think it is better for me to stay on the pill
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Cysts do not become breast cancer. The info you have is outdated and based on very old doses of the pill much higher than what you are on.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I see but isn't norethindone the controversial active ingredient with breast cancer? I just want to know if loestrin is particularly riskier than other low dose pills
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Norethindrone is estrogen. Its not controversial and its been in the pill forever. It is the dose that matters. Loestrin is a low dose pill and does not put you at any increased risk of breast cancer.