Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I got a positive pregnancy test at 12DPO At 17 DPO my hcg

Customer Question

I got a positive pregnancy test at 12DPO
At 17 DPO my hcg was 96.
At 18dpo I had some slight bleeding, pink. (had a pap the day before. It lasted or 2 wipes on the TP and then i never bled again.
At 19 DPO my hcg was 60. So i thought i was miscarrying
Then at 23 DPO my hcg jumped to 497
I had a transvaginal ultrasound at 24DPO (5wks2days) and they didn't see a sac. Just a thickened lining. It wasnt an OB ultrasound place, just a radiology ultrasound.
At 25 dpo (yesterday) my hcg was 850.
No pain. No more bleeding.
I feel like my hcg is much lower than my other pregnancies and not doubling as fast either. Im not sure what the chances are of this being a viable pregnancy or what the next step should be. Im worried about an ectopic due to the dip and then increase in HCG
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I think that the chance of this being a viable pregnancy is very low. Even though the hcg has been increasing, the dip from 96 to 60 is probably not compatible with a viable pregnancy.
A pregnancy won't reliably be seen on vaginal ultrasound until the hcg is around 1000, so it's not too surprising that they didn't see it 2 days ago. With a viable pregnancy, a sac is usually seen by 5 weeks with a viable pregnancy, which also suggest that yours is not viable.
As long as you don't have pain, I wouldn't worry too much about an ectopic. A miscarriage is far more likely. If you do develop pain, and nothing is seen on vaginal ultrasound, a biopsy inside the uterus showing placental tissue would help to rule out ectopic.
The fact that the hcg is increasing means that there is viable placenta growing, but doesn't mean there is a viable fetus. I'm sorry.