Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I've been having some symptoms like nausea,camping,sensitive

Customer Question

I've been having some symptoms like nausea,camping,sensitive breasts. My period was due on Tuesday 3rd May but it did not come at the same time I had a urine pregnancy test at my clinic which came out negative. My nurse told me to keep taking my oral contraceptive pills. Could i be pregnant ? Will the pills have an effect on my baby ? Should I stop taking it?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
Pregnancy tests are very accurate, so most likely you're not pregnant. The symptoms may be due to a random hormone fluctuation with the pills. In this situation we would have you continue taking the pills normally as you were advised to by the nurse. Then repeat the urine home pregnancy test in another week. Most likely it will be negative again.
Even if you are pregnant, taking the birth control pills for this short time would have no negative impact on the baby. Going off the pills puts a woman at risk of unintended pregnancy. That risk is much higher than any risks of staying on the pills normally.
I hope this was reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well I've heard that sometimes urine test does not detect early pregnancy so could this be the case
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
There can be a false positive with a urine test if it's taken within 3 weeks of conception especially if a woman has been drinking a lot of water before taking the test. Drinking water dilutes the hormone level in the urine in very early pregnancy. That's why repeating the test in 1 week is a good idea just to be 100% sure. Using the first urine of the morning also helps since a woman usually isn't drinking a lot of water during the night.
Anything else I can help with today?