Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Does cytoec really work

Customer Question

Does cytoec really work
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi I'm Dr. C, board certified Ob-Gyne,
Cytotec is a medication that is used for various things. It was developed to reduce the risk of gastric ulcers and treat them. But it's found wide usage by ob-gynes to soften the cervix. This can be useful to induce labor, make certain procedures easier to perform, etc. How well it works depends on the details of the situation, the dosage used and whether it's used vaginally, orally or absorbed through the membranes of the mouth.
So if you'd like to add some details to your question, I can give an answer more specific for your situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well i was advised to use 2 of the tablets orally and insert one in the cervix . Then take another 1 after 8 hrs and finally a last one after 8 hrs. I was also given antibiotics to take after. Would this work ?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
What is this being used for? If you're hoping to terminate a pregnancy, the cytotec by itself isn't likely to do it if the pregnancy is otherwise viable. We normally would combine it with either methotrexate or better yet mefipristone. If using it for some other purpose let me know.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes it is to terminate a pregnancy . I am 5 weeks pregnant .
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
The Cytotec by itself is about 75% effective:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18390077
If combined with mifepristone, this increases to 95+%.
The earlier in pregnancy, the more effective whatever method is used.
So being 5 weeks, it's important we're talking "gestational age". That is 3 weeks from conception.
Any other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes because my last period started on the 28/04/2015. By using the online pregnancy calcualator i came up with 5 weeks.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
ok, good so on the earlier side. With Cytotec by itself, the effectiveness is about 75%. That might not be good enough for you. Do you have access to a Planned Parenthood?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Did you have any other questions for me today?
If done, please leave a feedback rating for my service. I aim for excellent.
Good luck. I hope the Cytotec works for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the cytotec doesn't work what effects would it have on the pregnancy or the baby
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Cytotec is considered category X which means that it should not be used during pregnancy. It has an increased risk of certain birth defects:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23207166
But the risk is about 2%. So 98% chance of no problems.
Anything else?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the answers
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Good luck with this. It's a really tough situation to be in. I hope it works out.
I was glad to be able to give you excellent service.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
If done, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks!