Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have herpes outbreak today tomorrow is the schedule of implant

Customer Question

I have herpes outbreak today tomorrow is the schedule of implant should I cancel ? I have a feeling I felt the coming of the outbreak the day they harvested my egg. Should I cancel the procedure or carry on ?thanks
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The procedure is ivf thanks
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
I would carry on, although I would call your ivf doctor to make him/her aware of the herpes outbreak.
Most likely the herpes outbreak will have no effect on the embryo transfer. Sterile technique is used, so there should be no chance that the herpes virus would come in contact with the embryo.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If during delivery if I have the outbreak I cannot have a normal delivery for it cannot come through my vagina but must do cesarean shouldn't it also apply to inserting the embryo through the vagina when there's outbreak? Thanks
It doesn't apply to embryo transplant, because it's a sterile procedure. A vaginal delivery is never a sterile procedure, no matter how much we may try.
It is very possible and not difficult to transfer an embryo without any contact with the virus.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Assuming that I will go on with the embryo transplant today should I take oral medication like valtrex or should I just continue with the cream thought he cream is not helping . Is it safe to take herpes oral medication at this stage ? Thank you
I would ask your ivf doctor. I would not take any medication without his/her approval. Oral medication will get to the embryo, and while it's fairly safe as far as we know, there is too much we don't know about medications in a very early pregnancy.