Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Dr, Hope all is well. I wanted to check in with you as

Customer Question

Hi Dr, Hope all is well. I wanted to check in with you as today is my next 8 week ultra sound. I will have an update for you afterwards and let you know how it went. I did have a question. At 8 weeks I feel fantastic. No nausea or any vomiting. The only
thing that remind me I'm pregnant is my sore breasts and fatigue. ALthough I still say up till about 1130pm-12am, wasn't able to nap this weekend but had a very social weekend and surprisingly wasn't tired. Also I still urinate frequently, may 2 times a night
and 5-7 times a day but other than that everything feels quite normal to the fact I sometimes forget that I'm pregnant I am a bit anxious that everything will be okay as I would think I should be feeling more "pregnant" and if I'm not then something is wrong?
Perhaps this is me just being worrisome. Also, I often, and especially the last week have been hearing what seems to be like my own heartbeat from the left side of my ear. It comes and goes. This would seldom happen in the past so I can relate to the feeling
but I wanted to know if this was something that was normal? Thanks!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
It is normal to feel a sensation of your heart pounding in early pregnancy. This is due to the rapid expansion of blood volume that occurs in early pregnancy. It sounds like you are still having pregnancy related symptoms. Not everyone has nausea. Many women do not feel any symptoms at all. I dont think you have cause for concern.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks! I actually went in for my 8 week ultrasound. Due date is not 1 day before Jan 9th and the baby had a heart rate of 175! We saw it moving around already :) Didn't realize they would start moving around so soon.
The doctor told me I could work out again. If you recall last time she told me not to work out until my next visit which was today so I am glad that that was lifted. She told me just to be careful of any work that is near the pelvis like squats. do you know why squats would be an issue? She said you just want to avoid anything near the pelvis and since I do crossfit I will modify but wondered if any weighted squats are really that bad. I see pregnant woman doing them all the time.
Also, I forgot to ask but after a steady heartbeat what are the chances of miscarriage at this point? I want to tell my parents today and wait to tell others after a few weeks but given all the info so far with the hb (my progesterone level was also at a 34) am I at a lower risk to miscarry?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
The issue with squats has nothing to do with being near the pelvic. It has to do with causing a vasovagal reaction and lowering your blood pressure. You should not do them. Risk of miscarriage is 1%. It has nothing to do with your progesterone at this point. Congrads.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks!
So no squats? Does that include air squats or a few back squats and front squats ? Or any and all squats should be avoided. Haven't heard this before so this was new news to me. Anything else I should be avoiding for exercise ?
Also what about kegel exercises ?
Last. I have a dentist appt and need to fill a cavity. Would the injection they use to numb my gum be safe at this point ??
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
No squats. Nothing that increase intraabdominal pressure. You can do Kegels if you want but they will be counter productive in terms of stretching for delivery. It is safe to use local anesthesia without epinephrine, but you will want to consult your own Ob gyn first.