Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

If I had unprotected sex 2 days ago; on day 2 of my period,

Customer Question

If I had unprotected sex 2 days ago; on day 2 of my period, (Husband pulled out) Can I begin taking my combination birth control pills today, or should I go the Plan B route? (I'very been off of birth control pills for years, but am starting them again ) My cyles are always 28 days almost exactly, but I'm paranoid about pregnancy. Advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
With regular 28 day cycles, there is pretty much no chance that you would get pregnant on day 2 of your period, so I don't think you need Plan B.
You can start your combination pills today, and you'll be protected immediately (starting by the 5th day of a period gives immediate protection).
It's probably better to be a little paranoid about getting pregnant, but I think you can relax a little. Chances of pregnancy now are almost zero, and the pill will protect you as long as you don't miss any pills. Best regards.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** it!
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I started my combination pills yesterday. Is it normal to stop bleeding?
Yes. Starting the pill will often stop bleeding.