Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Just had a normal period that turned into a very long and abnormal

Customer Question

Just had a normal period that turned into a very long and abnormal one. After 8 days and normal flow, i had about 65 hours of Very heavy flow with very large clots coming out every half hour, two super plus tampons lasted just one hour. ALso, for the last few months my periods have ended with a few days of pink discharge. Have also experienced a light sensation somewhere down near my left ovary (could just be a strained muscle, hard to tell) for the last few months, not painful or distracting though. Didn't make much of these previous symptoms until this recent, rather frightening, period of about 14 days length. I have never had a period more than 7 days long before now.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
You are very young to be having such heavy periods. Are you on birth control?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No, no medications or changes to diet or anything
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
You need to get in to see a gyn. Is it possible you are pregnant? You will need an exam of course and some blood work for hormone levels and thyroid testing. Most likely your gyn will want to do an ultrasound. A two week period is of course too long.