Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I enjoy having oral sex with my wife, it seems like the most

Customer Question

I enjoy having oral sex with my wife, it seems like the most positive way to bring her to an orgasm. While she does enjoy it, she says this causes her to develop urinary tract infections. I'm not sure how this can happen. If oral sex is taking place at the clitoris am I near enough to her urinary tract for this to occur? If so, is there a safer way to do theis?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.
Hello from JustAnswer.
Actually, any sexual encounter can cause urinary tract infections, or UTIs, in some women. I have seen more women develop UTIs after penile-vaginal sex, but it can also happen from oral sex. It is not that sex introduces germs into the urinary tract, but the physical manipulation of and pressure on the genital tissue is what appears to contribute to the UTIs.
The usual recommendation to limit the risk of UTIs with sex is for her to assure that she is drinking plenty of fluids in the hours before sex to flush the system and to specifically empty the bladder once the sexual encounter has been completed, although it is fine to perform cuddling or any other associated activities before doing so. It also may help for her to perform cleansing of the genital skin before and after sex.
If I can provide any clarification, please let me know.