Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

How often should thyroid be checked during a pregnancy. If

Customer Question

How often should thyroid be checked during a pregnancy. If it is normal at 8 weeks, do they just assume it stays in a good range the rest of the pregnancy? I have not had any thyroid issues, but my family has a history of them. My TSH at 8 weeks pregnant was 0.7
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Every six to 8 weeks.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is there a reason it should be checked that often? My OB office doesn't feel that it ever needs to be checked again... I have asked and they said if I insist, they will check it again at 28 weeks.

With a perfect TSH of .7
No, if the doctor sees no indication on exam, no reason you have to hve it
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. I just feel that my OB docs miss things a lot (no option to change practices due to insurance). I pretty much manage my own care and ask for what I need, because no one else seems to be paying attention.

You are welcome anytime
OK, so that is an initial answer….