Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am asking this friend (honest!) She is 52 years

Customer Question

Hi - I am asking this for a friend (honest!) She is 52 years old, and experienced a very light incidence of post-menopausal bleed about 15 months after her last period. She was sent for trans vaginal ultrasound, but that was very painful to her. She said they were unable to visualize the midsection of her uterus, and so the scan was "inconclusive". My question is what could cause an inability to see the middle of the uterus? And what is likely the next step for her in ruling out endometrial cancer?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Nonvisualization is likely caused by her own discomfort. The next step is a biopsy of the uterine lining called an endometrial biopsy. It is a simple office procedure that only takes a few minutes. This can rule out cancer and precancer.