Dr David
Dr David, Doctor
Experience:  Experienced physican trained in ob-gyn and oncology
41363181

I went to the doctor this week tear I got during sex that starte

Customer Question

I went to the doctor this week for a tear I got during sex that started hurting so bad I couldn't stand it. First Dr said it was herpes and did blood test. Results haven't come back but it worsened and the sore got larger. I went back today and she said it was either strep or staph from having anal sex and then back to vaginal sex and that she was pretty sure it wasn't herpes. I was prescribed levoflaxin and told to soak in Epsom salt. After I soaked I was drying off and have new red craters that do not hurt and were not there before soaking. What could this be?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
This is Dr. David

it could be strep or staph skin infection

it could also be a MRSA type of skin infection which is methacillin resistant staph aureus

you need a skin culture of the area if it doesn't get better on levofloxicin

some skin infections can be resistant to levofloxicin since it is used so often.

you might have to see an infectious disease doctor who specializes in infection to perform a skin or vaginal wound culture there if there is pus or new red craters produced.

this skin wound culture can tell what type of bacteria is growing there and what antibiotics it is sensitive to.

you do need to follow up with your gyn doctor for further evaluation if the area is not getting better and if new red craters are forming.

it doesn't sound like your doctor took a wound culture of the area so far.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have pus coming from the initial sore now. I just thought it was from the antibiotic pushing the infection out of it. Is this okay? My doctors office is closed today. I spoke with the on call doctor and was told to stop the epsom salt sitz baths for now.

Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
pus is a definite sign of infection

pus should be cultured to see what bacteria is there

I would go to the ER or urgent care center and get the pus cultured to see if you have a MRSA infection or infection resistant to levofloxicin

some skin infections can be resistant to levofloxicin.

this needs to be know right away

you don't want this infection to get out of control

do continue to take the levofloxicin for now

let me know if you have other questions.

if done for now, please leave positive rating below the chat box so I can get credit for helping you today

we only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

you can always reach me with "a question for Dr. David" if you have any other questions

here is my website if you need to reach me again:

http://www.justanswer.com/medical/expert-dr-david/

Thanks for using JustAnswers.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

She did a culture on the wound yesterday but the results were not in yet today when i called.

Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
I see

then there is nothing else to do but wait and continue to take the antibiotics

make sure you take a probiotic daily and eat plenty of yogurt to help decrease your chances of diarrhea from the levofloxicin antibiotic.

and call up your doctor next week to follow up on the culture results.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What are probiotic options?

Also is the pus a normal sign as of right now?

Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
pus is a sign your body is making a lot of white blood cells to fight off a bacterial infection in the area.

you can take Phillips Colon health probiotic daily to add good bacteria to your bowels

antibiotics can often kill good bacteria in your bowels and cause diarrhea

eating yogurt several times a day and taking a probiotic can add good bacteria into your bowels to help prevent diarrhea from antibiotics.
Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
do you have any other questions?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

if i have any in a little while will i still be able to come back to this question to ask?

Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
yes, you can always ask follow up questions.

I am here

but we do only get credit for helping clients after positive feedback

thanks for using JustAnswer.com
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, i will leave positive feedback. i do have another question, i now have like a burning sensation at the ulceration and wanted to know if that is normal and if it is okay to put any type of oinment or cortisone on it? or just take the pains meds i was prescribed?

Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
I would not use cortisone on an area of active pus and infection

if you want to use neosporin on the area, you can

you should use the pain medications you were prescribed.

you can also use over the counter lidocaine gels 1% to help numb the area if it is painful.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Do you think that it is okay to continue the sitz baths at this point or stop them?

Expert:  Dr David replied 1 year ago.
your one doctor told you to stop the epsom salt sitz baths for now