Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have a large swollen what appears to be a blood blister above

Customer Question

I have a large swollen what appears to be a blood blister above the labia at the top of my vagina, I have not had any form of sex or accident. What is it?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
It would be most helpful to see an image of it. Is it possible for you to take a photo and attach it using the paperclip icon on the screen?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no I cannot take a picture
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Ok, in that case tell me how long it's been there? How big is it exactly (compare it to a dime)? Does it hurt or have any sensation at all? Is it exactly red? or purple? What is the shape? Perfectly round?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
perhaps I should go to my physician tomorrow.
for a couple of days it is oval in shape, it burns some and is more purple than red
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Yes it would be best to have it seen in person if unable to provide a photo. Purple and ovoid, it probably is nothing serious but a collection of blood under the skin.
Anything else I can help with today?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not quite as big as a pecan but that shape
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks I will go tot he doctor tomorrow
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
That's pretty big size. It may be a varicose vein possibly. There aren't that many things that are purplish. Purple usually mean blood filled.
It's not likely to be anything terribly serious such as a cancer or sexually transmitted disease though. So I hope that's reassuring.
Is it soft? Can you push it down and make it almost go away?