DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS
DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS, CONSULTANT GYNAECOLOGIST
Experience:  MBBS(CAL)MD(G&O)
15221770

My daughter is 10, I have taken her to the Dr 3 times

Customer Question

My daughter is 10, I have taken her to the Dr 3 times for very itchy vagina and very red, they prescribed nystatin, that didn't help, they also prescribed clotrimine (spelling is probably wrong), that doesn't help, I have also used a & d ointment as the Dr said this might help. Nothing helps her. What can I do to get her relief?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 1 year ago.
hello
The most common cause of vaginal itching is yeast infection but from your description it appeared that it is not an yeast infection.
Vaginal itching is an uncomfortable and sometimes painful symptom that is often caused by irritating substances, treatable and preventable infections,
Your gynecologist can determine the cause of your itching through an examination and testing. He or she will then be able to recommend appropriate treatments for this uncomfortable symptom.
Various chemicals to which you are exposed can cause vaginal itching. They may also cause an allergic reaction that creates itching or a rash over many parts of your body, including the vagina. Common chemical irritants include soaps, bubble baths, feminine sprays, douches, topical contraceptives, ointments, detergents, and fabric softeners.
Some skin diseases, like eczema, can cause dry, itchy, and/or blistered skin. At times, outbreaks of these symptoms can occur on the vagina as well.
You can take the following measures-
Avoid using feminine hygiene products, as these can cause irritation.
Avoid scented soaps, lotions, and bubble baths.
When exercising or swimming, change out of wet or damp clothing immediately afterward.
Wear cotton underwear, which is breathable and will keep you dry.
Thank you