Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

My wife is 2 weeks late . She has tested with home

Customer Question

My wife is 2 weeks late for periods . She has tested with home pregnancy test and today went for hospital test both show negative for pregnancy. What could be wrong?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
A period can get delayed due to simple causes like emotional stress or dieting or exercises. It can also get delayed due to conditions like hypothyroidism, hyperthyroidism, diabetes, anemia etc.
If your wife is usually quite regular in her menstrual cycle, chances are that she is delayed due to some sort of stress - if you are actively trying for a pregnancy, that could be stressful enough to delay her periods.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She has been irregular but only 5 days usually. But this time it's 2 weeks. Also I'm a bodybuilder very healthy and normal . I take supplements like pre workouts which include creatine , caffeine, amino acids etc. I hope these will not affect her ?
A menstrual cycle can be irregular for +/- 7 days, that is, a period which occurs 7 days before or after the date is normal. But a delay of more than 7 days needs to be tested for.
A delay of 5 days every month indicates that her menstrual cycle is longer - of about 32 days, rather than the more usual 28 days. This is perfectly normal and will not affect her chances of pregnancy in any way. But with a history of delayed periods, please wait for another week and then repeat the pregnancy test.
The supplements you are on will not affect her.