Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I had unprotected sex two days after I was supposed to start

Customer Question

I had unprotected sex two days after I was supposed to start a new birth control pack, but didn't. I also had sex the third and fourth day. Im not worried about stds. I've been in a monogamous relationship for some time. My question is if it's possible to be pregnant. It's now been about ten days since intercourse, and I've had nearly constant mild cramping for the past two days. My partner used the withdrawal method each time.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
If you had sex 2 days after you were supposed to start the pills, then you would have had the sex on the first week of the menstrual cycle. At this time, there is no ovulation and chances of pregnancy are very less. But there is still a small cahnace of being pregnant, even with the withdrawal method - this is not a very reliable method of contraception.
Now at 10 days after intercourse, you may be in very early pregnancy. cramping may or may not be present at this time. A pregnancy test will also not be reliable.
Please wait till you miss your periods to get a pregnancy test.