Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am 37 years old I had a tubal litigation done 16 years ago

Customer Question

I am 37 years old I had a tubal litigation done 16 years ago I have been bleeding for over two weeks for the first time in my life I had cramps and they lasted for only two days I'm not sure if I should be concerned there are very big thick clots .
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
How regular have your periods been lately?
Did your last period start when expected?
How many times a day do you need to change? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They have always been no more than 45 days slightly heavy on the first or second day and then barely there for the rest it did start when expected but different this time it was barely there in the beginning but it now has very big very tough or hard clots changing about every hour
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry every 4 to 5 days
Your bleeding is highly unlikely to be related to pregnancy.
Most likely, your prolonged bleeding is related to the hormonal changes that occur in women during the later 30's. It's also possible that you may have fibroid tumors in your uterus that could cause heavy and prolonged bleeding. However, that's less likely if you've been having fairly normal periods up until now.
I would recommend that you see your doctor for evaluation. A pelvic exam will determine whether you have any significant fibroids. Assuming that you don't, some progesterone pills will help to resolve the bleeding. Your blood count can also be checked to know if you have any anemia.
It's possible that the bleeding may resolve on its own, but it's also possible that it could go on and on, and it could even get heavier. So it's better to see your doctor to have it checked out. Best wishes.