Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I thought I had gone through Menopause,because I haven't had

Customer Question

I thought I had gone through Menopause,because I haven't had a period for over a year and well yesterday I started my period again. Is this normal?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
It's not normal. It's called postmenopausal bleeding. It needs to be investigated, since it sometimes will be a first sign of cancer.
I recommend that you see your doctor. An ultrasound may be done, which will show the thickness of the uterine lining. If it's very thin, this rules out cancer. Bleeding sometimes occurs from a thin and fragile uterine lining.
If the lining isn't so thin, then you'll need either an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the lining) or a D&C.
Sometimes the bleeding may be caused by a late burst of estrogen from the ovary, or possibly a polyp inside the uterus. A D&C and hysteroscopy (scope through the cervix) will resolve that.
Sometimes there may be some precancerous changes or normal thickening of the lining that can be resolved by progesterone pills.
Just in case that cancer is found, it's the kind that we can often cure by a hysterectomy. Best wishes.