Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

75 yr old on prempro vaginal bleeding w/some cramping heavier

Customer Question

75 yr old on prempro vaginal bleeding w/some cramping heavier when I walk etc
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Postmenopausal bleeding, whether on prempro or not, needs evaluation. There is a chance that it's a first sign of cancer. The bleeding may or may not be related to the prempro.
You'll need either an endometrial biopsy (thin tube through the cervix to sample the uterine lining), or a D&C to rule out cancer.
If you have a D&C, that will usually resolve the bleeding and remove any possible polyp found.
If an endometrial biopsy is normal, an ultrasound may help to figure out the reason for the bleeding. If there is any suggestion of extra buildup of the lining or a polyp present, you may still need a D&C
Just in case cancer is found, it's the kind that we can often cure by a hysterectomy. Best wishes.