Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am 58. Have had a hysterectomy approx. 15 years ago, colonoscopy

Customer Question

I am 58. Have had a hysterectomy approx. 15 years ago, colonoscopy approx. 8 years ago. In the past year I have started having vaginal flatulence and it is uncontrollable, embarrassing and I have no idea what is causing it. My yearly checkups are turning out ok. I do have lupus which is in remission at this point, but has caused a host of other problems as IBS, but I have dealt with that for years and this problem just began about a year ago. Any suggestions
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
This is most likely the result of vaginal prolapse and laxity of the perineal muscles. Air is allowed to get into the vagina and then escapes uncontrollably. If air cannot get in, it will not get out. If you have gained weight, this may be causing the issue. Exercise and strenthening the pelvic floor can help. You should see a gyn for an exam to be sure there are no physical issues.