Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

There, We spoke last week when I told you about my

Customer Question

Hi there, We spoke last week when I told you about my exercise regimen. As a refresher I am a marathon runner (ran a half marathon and beat my PR week before I was pregnant), do Crossfit, Pilates, Barre classes, Hike, etc etc. I went for my first ultrasounds
on Monday. Come to find it, i was only 6weeks 1 day (today I am 6wks +5) Heartbeat was there at 117 bpm and I have another appointment on June 1 when I am 8 weeks to see the growth of the baby at the 8 week range. My doctor told me not to go to the gym or
do anything except walking! Not even light weights or hiking or prenatal yoga! Something about making sure the blood is reaching the baby I am not sure why she did this, her office said she is being extra cautious but why? Everywhere I read and all the advice
I have received says if you exercise you are perfectly okay to keep doing so. I know you are not suppose to overheat or dehydrate so I drink plenty of water and make sure when I work out I can still keep up a conversation. I really don't want to go against
her recommendation but I just don't understand why when everywhere else says its okay to work out she is being overly cautious here. She did say after June1st we can slowly bring the work outs gradually back but I have been eating a very ideal diet for pregnancy
(whole grains, lots of calcium, complex carbs) in addition to my lean protein and fruits and veggie intake and I don't want to gain more weight then needed. I read only 3-4 lbs first trimester but already its been a 1.5 as my diet has changed but really frusterating
since I like to work out and keep in shape? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
I do not think your Dr has any basis to restrict your exercise. Rec weight gain in the first trimester is 0-3 pounds. What is your current ht and weight? Sounds like you may need a new Dr.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I"m 5'5 and weighed today 141, I typically fluctuate between 133-138. I was 139.2 when I weighed myself (after a weekend of food/drinks) the day I found out I was pregnant.
She has really good reviews that all mention she is very thorough and I had a friend who delivered with her and liked her attention to every detail too so really not sure... can there be ay explanation for this?
She also said the heartbeat for the baby was just "OK" for 117BPM at 6weeks 1 day so maybe she doesn't know that I am aware that I need to hydrate and not over extend and things Im going to overexert.I also haven't had any nausea yet. DOes that mean it hopefully won't kick it. I have been taking prenatals for the last year which should help and eat 6 small meals through the day..
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
So you are not underweight. 117 at 6 weeks is fine, not abnormal. In addition, if you would miscarry it would not be due to exercise. Miscarriage is due to genetic abnormalities. Nausea usually begins around 6-7 weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Genetic abnormalities. But what about poor health, toxins in ur body, overheating your body? And other things that may cause it?
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Miscarriage is caused by a genetically abnormal embryo. It is not caused by the other things you mentioned.