Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I'm 63 yo with history of thyriodectomy and hysterectomy.

Customer Question

Hello! I'm 63 yo with history of thyriodectomy and hysterectomy. Topical HRT for ten years post surgery. Without HRT I am continually fatigued. I am sexually active in a monogamous marriage. For the past year I have burning, itching and sometimes sharp pains in my genital area. Seen three GYNs and two Dermatologist who cannot diagnosis it. One said lichen schelorsus another said possible vulvodynia. There is no redness or lesions at all. It becomes maddening! Having read that Epson salt baths are good for other vaginal irritations, I tried it last night. Soothing at the time, but I was miserable all night. Any suggestions? I'm desperate.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
Are you using vaginal estrogen? Are you using any other estrogen? I do read that you have used HRT but I bet that is not the case if you had a hysterectomy. HRT stands for hormone replacement therapy and refers to oral combined hormones, given to women with a uterus.
Was the diagnosis of lichen sclerosis made by biopsy?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, I use ESTRACE vaginally as well as topical HRT on my inner thighs. I have never taken oral HRT. All docs have said that my vagina is healthy in appearance and very 'pink and plump' for a woman my age indicating sufficient estrogen. The lichen schelorsus was not dx by biopsy as the doc said there was no irritation to biopsy.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
What are you using as "topical hrt". Estrogen? Progesterone? Why? Lichen sclerosis cannot be diagnosed without biopsy. You could have several conditions. 1. Allergy to the estrace cream, try a prescription for vagifem instead2. Allergic reaction to something else, a pad or a soap3. LS which can only be diagnosed by biopsy4. yeast It sounds like you should see another gyn Dr
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I used vagifem pre-hysterectomy. The Gyn changed the script to ESTRACE post-hysterectomy. I have ruled out all possible allergens and the ESTRACE actually relieves the inflammation. I have had numerous yeast tests at the GYN all of which are negative. Also numerous bacterial vagionisis tests - negative. Yes, I realize the lichen schelorsus dx requires a biopsy but I believe this was a stretch dx. The next GYN disagreed also. I have seen five doctors with no relief. All I am accomplishing is spending more money and becoming more frustrated. Thanks for trying.