Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I had unprotected sex last Friday and right after the inside

Customer Question

I had unprotected sex last Friday and right after the inside and outside of my vagina started to itch and burn a little. It is still itching. When I went to have sex in wasn't ready enough when we started having sex cuz it hurt what could it be
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
When you say you weren't ready enough, was there not enough lubrication? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah
The itching and burning right after sex was likely due to irritation from rubbing without enough lubrication. However, since it has lasted since Friday, I suspect that you may have a yeast infection as well. The yeast infection could have been brought out by the irritated conditions from the sex.
To be sure, it would be best to see your doctor and get checked. Otherwise, you might try one of the over the counter yeast creams to see if that relieves the itching. If the itching is gone in 24 hours, then it was likely yeast.
In the meantime, sitting in water with epsom salts will be both soothing and healing, regardless of the cause. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It goes away after a couple of days
Is it gone now?
Does this happen usually when you have sex?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's pretty much gone now and just with the guy I'm with now. It never happened before.
The first thing would be to always be sure there is plenty of lubrication. There are many lubricants available at the drug store, such Astroglide. Many couples need extra lubrication besides vaginal wetness.
If it still persists in spite of good lubrication, then I would wonder if it might be a mild allergic reaction, possibly to semen or to the soap he's using. You could try using condoms and see whether that made a difference.
It also might still be a low grade yeast infection, which just flares up after intercourse. Your doctor could check that. If so, then treating the yeast should resolve the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for the advice
You're welcome.