Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I need the advice of an infertility specialist. My daughter,

Customer Question

I need the advice of an infertility specialist. My daughter, age 36 yrs old, was in the middle of the ivf process. After a week of shots, she had n ultra sound this morning. Five eggs on the left were 15- 16 cms, but the six eggs on the right had stopped growing and were at 6 cms. She just got a call from the nurse, it seems her estrogen level has dropped in two days from 700 to 360. They want to abort the retrieval of eggs and start again. My daughter's hospitalization will only pay for this cycle. Question: Can they still use the eggs on the left? Is my daughter barren?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
They could still retrieve the eggs and fertilize them with her husbands sperm but they would not put the embryos back in because the estrogen is too low for them to implant. Its not useful to waste the embryos on a cycle that is not a good cycle. Not sure what you mean by "barren". Usually the definition of "barren" is infertile, so yes she is. Many women who have infertility can become pregnant with ivf. Often if the cycle is aborted, the insurance will pay for a second cycle. Many times 2 or 3 cycles are requires. The majority of ivf patients pay out of pocket and are not covered by insurance.