Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I'm 47 I have crohns No other health issues Last appointment

Customer Question

I'm 47 I have crohns
No other health issues
Last appointment (gynecology) was last July
Everything was fine
A few weeks ago I noticed a little bump on one side then it went away. My period was 12 days late started normally this morning. There is a soft cyst on the inner labia color is pink like surrounding area
doesn't hurt to touch
I have had intermittent itching I had used tea tree oil and it's seems to be when itching began. I have some pain during orgasm that last few weeks.
I have been gaining weight and feel like I may be entering menopause .
No discharge or bleeding at all separate from my period that was 12 days late
I am never late
Pregnancy test was negative
I'm scared that I have vulvar cancer
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Vulvar cancer is probably pretty unlikely, and doesn't begin as a soft cyst.
Although you've never been late before, there has to be a first time. Your regular periods can't go on forever. The late period is likely the first sign of perimenopause, which is the transition time from regular periods to menopause.
A soft cyst on the inner labia is often due to a Bartholin duct cyst. There is a Bartholin gland on each side of the vagina near the vaginal opening. If that's the cause it requires no treatment unless it becomes infected or bothersome.
Vaginal itching is often caused by a yeast infection. The diagnosis can be made by your doctor, or sometimes it's worthwhile to use an over the counter treatment to see if that resolves it.
So I think it would be helpful to see your doctor for evaluation and reassurance. An exam will tell what kind of cyst you have, and whether there is any concern about cancer. Your doctor could also test for yeast, and prescribe medication if it's there. And your doctor could talk to you about what to expect regarding perimenopause. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What could be causing some pain during orgasm? could my crohns cause vulva issues?what symptoms would you expect of it were cancer? And finally what would be the vulvar cancer symptom you would be concerned about?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it were to be cancer would the fact that I was given the thumbs up last July at my exam indicate it would be in early stage???
Recent onset of pain during orgasm suggests something going on inside the uterus. Since it coincided with the late period, perhaps it had something to do with some buildup of the uterine lining. Or perhaps you might have a fibroid tumor of your uterus, which is common during the 40's. If the pain continues, your doctor can help to sort it out.
Crohns disease can sometimes cause vulvar problems, but generally not a soft cyst. If Crohns disease affected the vulva, it can cause fistulas (abnormal opening) or abscesses (infected pockets).
Vulvar cancer will usually begin as a skin lump on the surface (not under the skin). An abnormal skin lump or spot would be something to evaluate for possible vulvar cancer. However, most lumps and spots are not vulvar cancer.
You're correct that if it were cancer, your normal exam last July would suggest that it would be early stage.