Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I am peeing from my vagina and seem to be very unusually gassy.

Customer Question

I am peeing from my vagina and seem to be very unusually gassy. I'm 5'9 and and normally weigh 125lbs. I'm normally very fit. Although for the last few years I can not seem to maintain. Any of that. I am presently 140 ibs and to weak to work out. I saw information about a fistula. Could this b me?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Does urine leak more or less continuously from your vagina?
Have you had radiation or surgery in the vaginal area?
Have you had childbirth? If so, were there any complications?
How long have you been peeing from your vagina? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Norm,
Thank you so much for your time.
1. Yes, I should have mentioned that. I most assuredly have a a constant urine leakage.
2. Yes, I have had many female surgeries I suffered from extremly painful endometriosis from the very start of my menstrual cycle. Plus, precancerous something on my uterus At age 16. My uterus was frozen. My first attempt to have children resulted in an ectopic pregnancy. I ended up needy several corrective surges to repair the damage from endometriosis and ectopic pregnancy. ( wasn't discovered until I was in trouble)
3. Yes, I have 2 Children. 2nd pregnancy (first child) took 11 months and lots of help from doctors. 3rd pregnancy (2nd child)
Happened without trying. Both pregnancies resulted in seizures, preeclampsia and needed to have my heart "shocked" . (Not sure of proper term.) both were taken by emergency C-Section early. One 33 days early and one 23 days early. I was advised highly not to get preganant again. I had my tubes tied at time of second C-Section.
4. I have been urinating from my vagina for many many years. It took a long time to tell my husband and then with his encouragement he finally talked me into this conversation, today.
Thank you again,
Stacey Mullins
Hi Stacey,
You've certainly been through a lot.
It sounds like you do have a fistula, called a vesicovaginal fistula, meaning a hole between your bladder and vagina.
This is something that can be corrected by surgery. You don't have to live with this leaking urine. It's nothing to be embarrassed to talk about with your doctor. It's probably a small hole that would not be noticed unless she was looking for it.
You've had a number of surgeries, and the fistula is most likely the result of poor healing after one of your surgeries.
I suspect that you're not looking forward to having any further surgery. However, as long as you find a good surgeon, your fistula can probably be repaired vaginally without much trouble, and other than having a catheter in your bladder, the recovery should be fairly easy without much pain.
So I encourage you to see your doctor to discuss this. Perhaps your doctor can do the repair, but it should be done by someone with much experience in repairing vaginal fistulas. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Norm.
Thank you so much for your help. I am hopeful. I am calling Drs tomorrow. Unfortunately my OBGYN of 20 + years fell ill and had to give up practicing medicine.
Thank you again for your encouragement. Can I ask a couple more questions.? I am very satisfied and am more than willing to pay for more of your time.
1. Last year I fell down a flight of stairs ( I'm really not a clutz, but have been very sickly) and cracked my tail bone. It went bad and the dr had to create a small incision that was left open to drain the infection. It WILL NOT CLOSE. my suspicion is its urine. Am I reaching?
2. Does this type of fistula cause gas or bubbles to make my stomach get very bloated at times?
Stacey
Hi Stacey,
1. I don't think you could be draining urine from your tail bone area. It's pretty far away from your bladder, and I can't see how there could be a connection. It sounds like you don't heal very well.
2. I don't think the fistula would cause gas or bubbles or bloating. I think that's a separate issue. That might be some kind of intestinal problem, or perhaps stress. I wonder if you need a good evaluation by an internal medicine doctor for that as well as the weakness and weight gain.