Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I recently found out I am pregnant I do not want to keep the

Customer Question

I recently found out I am pregnant I do not want to keep the pregnancy but I do not want to have an abortion how can I induce a miscarriage almost immediately
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
Inducing a miscarriage is the same as an abortion. It can be done with medication, although it is far preferable to having is done with the help of a doctor if possible.
As long as you're fairly early pregnant, there are 2 medications that you can take that will cause an abortion over 90% of the time. They usually require a prescription, but it is possible to obtain them without one.
You take a mifepristone pill by mouth, and then 24 hours later insert 4 tablets of misoprostol high in the vagina. The abortion will generally occur within less than 24 hours.
Occasionally a medical abortion doesn't work. In that case, the baby could have birth defects.
If you are not able to see a doctor or the abortion, this website http://www.womenonwaves.org/en/page/702/how-to-do-an-abortion-with-pills--misoprostol--cytotec will explain what you need to know about medical abortion, and near the bottom of the page is lists another website for Women on Web, where they can assist you to obtain the medication. I hope that's helpful.