Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am 49, in perimenopause and this morning I got my period

Customer Question

I am 49, in perimenopause and this morning I got my period (eight weeks after my last one) while still in bed. There was a large bloodstain on the bed and mattress but when I went to the toilet, there was only a little blood on the toilet paper. I used a tampon, but when I later removed it, there was absolutely no blood on it whatsoever. In other words, my period lasted for only two hours and there has been no blood since. Should I be concerned, as this has never happened before?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Theres no reason to be concerned about a light or short period. As you get closer to menopause you can expect the length of your cycle and the duration of your period to change. You can also expect that this period may restart and come back. This is normal and to be expected.