Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

Dear Dr. Zach, I have a problem. My girlfriend and I had protected

Customer Question

Dear Dr. Zach, I have a problem. My girlfriend and I had protected intercourse last night using a condom. However, when I pulled out, the condom remained inside, and we are not sure if some semen escaped or remained inside, even after washing with Betadine. We are wondering what options are availalbe as we live in Dubai. I understand there are morning after pills and or Yasmin tablets. Can you advise us what to do? Thanks Mike
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Betadine will not help It does not wash out sperm or kill it. It just forces it into the uterus and increase the risk of pregnancy.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Plan B is emergency contraception and is over the counter It must be taken within 72 hours. Yasmin cannot be used. Many other birth control pills that you can buy can be used. They need to contain norethindrone. Most would be 5 pills and 5 12 hours later. You can find dosing for each pill on the planned parenthoood US website.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Doctor for your prompt reply and advise. We found a doctor locally here in Dubai and she examined my partner and prescribed some birth control medication of the kind you advised if I am not mistaken. I will confirm and revert back. Notwithstanding, thank you very much for your feedback.Regards.M.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
YOu are welcome.