Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I am sexually active, but my partner lives in another state,

Customer Question

I am sexually active, but my partner lives in another state, so I am not sexually active all of the time. I notice that a few days after intercourse, I would get a yellow discharge (no odor, itch or burning). It is consistent only in the fact that the discharge occurs about once weekly. It is not continuous from day to day. I have visited my OBGYN and he has done several tests and ruled out any STDs. My boyfriend has also been tested for STDs and they all came back negative. I am menopausal, and sometimes sexual intercourse can be painful. Is the yellow discharge something I should be bothered about? What can I use to eliminate this problem. My OBGYN does not seem to be bothered about the issue, because there is not odor or itching.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
It is most likely a discharge due to atrophic vaginitis
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
This is not an infection. It is an irritative vaginitis caused by lack of estrogen. It is best treated with vaginal estrogen. You can also try and over the counter personal lubricant like Replens. This is long lasting and is different than a lubricant used during sex.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My doctor prescribed Vagifem(a tablet to insert twice weekly that is estrogen-free) and I also use over the counter Replens, which you suggested. Since my 'now husband' is not in the same state as I, I would prepare by using Vagifem one to two weeks continuously before we meet, and I would also use Replens before intercourse. Since, using these 2 medications, I have not had the discharge, neither painful intercourse.

Thanks for your help!!

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
That's good news. If you can give me a positive rating I can get credit for my services. Btw. Vagifem is an estrogen tablet.