Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I would like to know what is entailed with the LEEP

Customer Question

Hello. I would like to know what is entailed with the LEEP Procedure. I am having that procedure done tomorrow, and I'm a bit terrified. Especially when they mentioned to take some Advil before arriving, and also will give injections.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
still need help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello again. You are a gynecologist? I've spoken to you before on medical questions
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what do you mean still? Original question was never answered last week by a specialist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
same problem as last week. I will contact just answer again
Expert:  DocPhilMD replied 1 year ago.
Your question was opened to all experts.
Likely the low value of the question is turning off the specialists. I'm sorry.
I am willing to help if you like
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
I assume that you've had the LEEP by now, but if not, I'll be happy to answer.
A LEEP procedure is usually fairly simple, and almost pain free. I don't recommend taking Advil before arriving, but perhaps it's reasonable. There is a small amount of pain.
The doctor will put a speculum in the vagina for visualization. Then some local anesthetic will be put just under the skin on each side of the cervix. Most women don't even feel it going in, although you might a little.
As long as the anesthesia is working, you should feel no further pain. The doctor may or may not do another colposcopy, may stain the cervix with iodine, and then uses a thin wire attached to electricity to burn through the cervix to remove the abnormal part. That part takes about 5 seconds.
The doctor may place something called Monsel's solution on the cervix to help prevent bleeding, and then you're done.
You may have some mild bleeding or brown discharge for a week or more after the procedure. You may have some cramping, but usually not much.
It's generally easier and with significantly less pain than having an IUD inserted or a colposcopic biopsy or endometrial biopsy, in case you've had any of them.
Please don't be terrified. As long as you have a good doctor, it should be fairly easy. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks for the information. Really appreciate it. The procedure has been re-scheduled to June 10. She called to re-schedule just 10 minutes before I was leaving work. Probably went to deliver a baby. Anyway, she said it was a bit more complex than a colposcopy, which I had before. I saw several videos of this procedure. I think what terrified me the most, was seeing some smoke coming out, most liklely from the machine. Not exactly keen on getting injections down there. She said it would be a 20-30 minute procedure.
Yes. It might take 20-30 minutes, but the actual part where she removes the tissue from your cervix is brief.
There may be a little smoke, and you may smell it. The beauty of the procedure is that because of the electricity used, the wire loop burns as it cuts (like butter), and there is almost no bleeding.
Most women don't feel the injections.