Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

Doc..i just got the result of papsmear that i had..i had

Customer Question

hi doc..i just got the result of papsmear that i had..i had the papsmear while there was a sore or ulcer on my genital..when the result came,it says negative for intraepithelial lesion or malignancy..there was a finding of reactive cellular changes associated
with inflammation (moderate) and that was it..was this caused by herpes?do i have herpes?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
The only way to know whether you have herpes is to do a herpes culture from the sore or ulcer.
A negative Pap smear with reactive cellular changes and inflammation is very common. The large majority of the time, it has nothing to do with herpes.
If the medical person doing the Pap smear thought there was a chance of genital herpes, hopefully that person would have done a herpes culture.
So I would try to have a herpes culture taken from the sore or ulcer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
at the time of the papsmear,i had the sore and the She popped a Bartholins cyst at the same time..wont they see on the papsmear whether there was some kind of virus or any other organisms present on my specimen? it doesnt say..i dont have the sore anymore..she didnt take a sample from it when i had it..she only had the papsmear done,vaginal and cervical
It's true that they can see signs of herpes sometimes on a Pap smear, but the Pap smear isn't the best way to know whether you have herpes or not. A culture needs to be done.
If it was a doctor doing the Pap smear, she would usually be able to identify whether or not the sore looked like herpes. Since she didn't, I would conclude that it probably was not.
Genital herpes tends to come back. If a sore appears again, that will be your chance to get the herpes culture to know for sure.