Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I just had my baseline mammogram and then given an ultrasound

Customer Question

I just had my baseline mammogram and then given an ultrasound because was found in the mammogram. I feel no lumps but my ultrasound found one circumscribed rounded hypoechoic solid nodule that is homogeneous and avascular, and 2 small isoechoic solid nodules that are avascular. all of which favor benign fibroadenoma in the report. No abnormal duck dilatation and i dont have a history of breast cancer in my family. Im age 40 and they told me they are going to do a 6 month check for 2 years just to see if it enlarges and if not i go to regular once a year. is this something i should be concern about? I guess im asking is fibroadenomas misdiagnosis alot?
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.

I have 29+ years of experience. Radiologists are actually quite accurate in diagnosis fibroadenoma properly. I don't think I even recall a situation in which they made that call and it turned out later to be wrong. The mammogram and ultrasound characteristics of fibroadenoma are pretty straight-forward.

So this is a very reassuring situation. Having 6 month check's for 2 years is a reasonable follow-up plan.

I hope this information was reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything or provide more details.