Dr.M.D.Mazumdar
Dr.M.D.Mazumdar, Doctor
Experience:  MD (Obst&Gynecology)
1725470

I am 54 years old. I just had a period that started

Customer Question

I am 54 years old. I just had a period that started around the 9th of April. That the first time in quite a while (maybe 10 months ago). i have been spotting a little bit very recently after sex.nothing runny or heavy, just slight spotting. No pain at at. I feel fine.
Thanks,
XXXX
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr.M.D.Mazumdar replied 1 year ago.
Menopause is said to have occurred when a woman has not had her periods for at least 1 year. If it is 10 months since your last period, then you are not yet menopausal, although very close to it.
What is worrisome is the spotting after sex. Postmenopausal or perimenopausal spotting can be due to changes in the cervical cells. while spotting can be due to simple causes like an infection or a cervical polyp, it can also be due to potentially serious conditions like cervical dysplasia which is a premalignant condition.
A heavy period at around the time of menopause can be due to endometrial hyperplasia.
Please consult an Obgyn as early as possible - you will need an ultrasound of the uterus as well as a cervical biopsy.