Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

I just had unprotected sex with my wife and I ejaculated inside her. What shoul

Customer Question

I just had unprotected sex with my wife and I ejaculated inside her. What should we do ?
Should we get a birth control pill right away and if yes which one is the best to avoid any pregnancy scares
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
A birth control pill does not work after you have already had unprotected sex. You should go to the pharmacy and purchase Plan B which is emergency contraception. This is quite effective in preventing pregnancy. She will then need to visit a Dr for a birth control prescription to be started in two weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So she just took the Plan B right now. This is within hours of having unprotected sex.

What steps does she need to follow here on

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
As I mentioned above, she needs to make a drs appointment to get a prescription for a birth control pill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Is taking birth control pills Necessary ?

Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Your question above says "Should we get a birth control pill right away and if yes which one is the best to avoid any pregnancy scares." It is necessary to use birth control if you do not want to get pregnant. If you are not going to use condoms, she needs to take the pill unless you are planning to have a baby.