Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

I have lupus and have a very extensive medical record. But

Customer Question

I have lupus and have a very extensive medical record. But for a year now I have been
having a problem I just can't explain to my doctor.
Some times when I have a bowel movement it takes a lot of toilet tissue and wipes
Before I am clean. And it seems a lot of the bowel movement comes from the vagina.
At times I will have a movement and not know I had to go, I have awaken in the night
To find I had a bm, this is very upsetting to me.
Maybe 20 years ago I had a cystocyle and rectocyle ( excuse my spelling ) could this
Be a problem due to the sling or mesh no longer holding the organs in place?
What type of specialist would I go
Thank you for listening to my problem, I am so glad I found this site!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome.
I am Dr. Norm, and I look forward to helping you today.
It seems that you have a recto-vaginal fistula, which is an opening between the rectum and the vagina. It is likely a result of the repair that you had 20 years ago.
I urge you to explain this to your doctor the same way you have explained it here. A vaginal exam should reveal the fistula without much difficulty. Then your doctor can advise you where to go to resolve this problem.
Your recto-vaginal fistula cab be repaired by surgery, but it's likely to be somewhat difficult because of the scar tissue. It will be best that you have the surgery done by someone who is very skilled in difficult vaginal repairs, for instance at the Mayo Clinic or other institution where they see and treat many difficult problems. Best wishes.