Dr. Norm S.
Dr. Norm S., Board Certified OB/GYN
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in OB/GYN practice, including teaching students. Fellow of American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology.
13711182

My name is ***** ***** started my period a wk or two early

Customer Question

hello my name is ***** ***** started my period a wk or two early I am almost 43 I was woken up with sever pain on my right side overy area 15 yrs ago I hade a cyst that busrt what should I do
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a fever sharp pains come and go almost like labor pains for the past hour an a half
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Since the pain is severe, I think you should see a doctor soon. I suspect that the pain is from an ovarian cyst again. However, this time the cyst may be twisting rather than burst. When the enlarged ovary from the cyst causes the ovary to twist (called torsion), it cuts off the blood supply. This requires surgery to untwist it, or the ovary may die.When an ovarian cyst bursts, the pain is usually more steady, rather than coming and going like labor pains. It's possible that you have a ruptured cyst, in which case it will generally resolve on its own without surgery.An exam and ultrasound will help to determine the cause of your pain.The bleeding is likely due to the hormonal changes that come from being 43 years old. Sometimes irregular bleeding and ovarian cysts come together.