Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I am a bit nervous as almost 10 weeks pregnant and ate

Customer Question

hello, I am a bit nervous as almost 10 weeks pregnant and ate sprouts today in my salad. the shrimp in the salad was a bit fishy as well but it may have been me. i am now nervous abt listeria
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
During pregnancy, it's wise to generally avoid sprouts, although the risk of listeria is probably small. Similarly, avoid shrimp or other seafood that isn't cooked or well preserved after cooking.That said, the risk of listeria is probably low. If you develop illness from listeria, you'll usually get flu-like symptoms. If that occurs, see your doctor for possible treatment.In general, it's not recommended to treat pregnant women for listeria unless there are symptoms.Although there can be a lot of publicity about listeria in pregnancy, it's actually pretty rare.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When will i developments flu like symptoms if exposed. I did not realize that spounts we on the no list.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As far the shrimp it was cooked just felt it was a bit fishy which concerned me. Took it out of my salad but still concerned
Symptoms usually show up 2-30 days after exposure. The most common symptom is fever.Cooked shrimp is considered safe. I don't think there is much relationship between listeria infection and a fishy taste.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
when do the flu like symptoms transpire. Am a bit nervous as was not aware of the sprouts. As for the shrimp it was cooked and took alot of it out of my salad but still concerned based on the fishy taste.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you! i think i am hearing avoid going forward but it is rare to cause issues.
You're welcome.Yes, it's rare to cause issues.Mostly avoid hot dogs, luncheon meats, unpasteurized milk or cheese. Keep produce refrigerated. Cook whenever unsure about food safety.