Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I was recently notified by my gynecologist that I tested positive

Customer Question

I was recently notified by my gynecologist that I tested positive for a low- risk strand of HPV. About 10 years ago, I underwent a procedure to remove pre-cancerous cells associated w the virus. I have also had warts removed in the past. I have been "HpV free" for 10 years, and now I get this upsetting news :( I have a few questions:
1. Will HPV always remain in my body?
2. If no cancerous strands are present, should my husband and I use condoms?
3. What risks are associated with pregnancy? Is this something that could affect my baby?
4. My doctor told me that The body can clear HPV, but my husbands doctor says it remains dormant. What's the truth here?
5. What are the health risks associated with the low- risk strands of HPV? My doctor doesn't seem very concerned.I would appreciate any additional information you could provide to me as well! I feel like each doctor has a different take on HPV and I just want some solid answers!
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
What kind of test did you have?Do you have any warts now?How old are you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I had a routine pap. I do not have any warts now and I am 30 years old
1. HPV is cleared from the body in 1-2 years 90% of the time. That means that 10% of the time, the HPV remains longer. I don't think we know whether you will always have HPV, or it will clear at some point.2. I don't think there is any need for you and your husband to use condoms. Most sexually active people get HPV at sometime. Most of us are never aware of it. Your husband most likely has had the same HPV you have. He'll likely never have any problem from it, although he could develop warts.3. Low risk HPV can cause warts and also something called recurrent respiratory papillomas (RRP) in the larynx. Your baby might pick that up during delivery, but it's quite rare, and I've never seen a case.4. Both are true. Usually the virus is cleared by the body, but sometimes it remains dormant.5. Low risk HPV mostly causes warts. It can also cause RRP, but that's rare.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Would a cesarian section reduce the likelihood of the baby developing that condition?
Also, is there any risk with oral sex?
A cesarean section would reduce the likelihood of RRP, but it's such a rare condition that it would not be recommended. Risks from a cesarean are far greater.There are no significant risks with oral sex from low risk HPV. High risk HPV can cause throat cancer, but not low risk.Remember that everyone gets HPV. You just happen to be aware of it from the test. Most of us go through our lives getting it, and usually getting rid of it. The 10% who don't clear it have normal lives also.