Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Dear Doctor, I am 40 and single. recently I have decided to

Customer Question

Dear Doctor,
I am 40 and single. recently I have decided to get pregnant using a sperm donor. treatment for this is due to begin in July.
Last saturday night on day 21 of my cycle I was assaulted by someone I know but not well. I am trying to deal with this as best I can.
But Tuesday evening I had a pink spotting and since I have been spotting daily. Its a light spotting only when I wipe. My period is due today or tomorrow but I have no symptoms and am so crazy nervous I might be pregnant from such an awful experience, I cant sleep or eat...
I am now stuck and keeping thinking what to do if I am pregnant. I do not want a baby in these conditions but could taking the abortive pill reduce my fertility or the success of the treatment I am supposed to undergo in July?
I am desperately confused and nervous and feel sick to my stomach.
I look forward to your reply.
Many thanks
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 2 years ago.
Taking pills for a medical abortion will not generally reduce your fertility or affect the success of your insemination treatment. However, it seems unlikely that you are pregnant.Assuming that you have regularly monthly periods, you would not ordinarily be fertile on day 21 of your cycle.The spotting suggests that there might be a hormonal problem, which may be the reason that your period hasn't started.An STD can also cause abnormal spotting, so it would be worthwhile to get tested.If you did get pregnant last Saturday, it's still too early for a pregnancy test to be positive. However, if you see your doctor, he/she can help to figure out what is going on. I doubt that you're pregnant from last Saturday.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your response. I feel somewhat relieved and I will go and see my doctor this week.
best
You're welcome.Best wishes to you.