Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I just lost a baby that was 38 weeks. An ultrasound was performed

Customer Question

I just lost a baby that was 38 weeks. An ultrasound was performed on April 28, in which the doctor reported to me that the placanta blood flow had decreased and was not enough to obstain any further weight loss, as well as the fluid in the womb had become low. A c section was planned for 4 days later. I went to the emergency room two days later after I quit detecting fetal movement. The baby had died in utero...approximately one day before. I had asked the doctor, during the ultra sound when the baby was still alive if we should not go ahead and do the c section, because the doctor reported that their was not enough aminiotic fluid for the baby to flip (the baby was still in breech position). The doctor told me no, that it was fine to wait for a couple of days, (The baby was still viable and alive with reportedly a strong heart beat during this visit). I have obtained my medical records. When I first went into the doctor during my last visit my blood pressure was 148/ 140...upon rereading was 142/140....and then when done a third time was 128/ 100. I am 44 years old, and my second pregnancy I developed toxemia. As I am looking back at the blood result....through the whole pregnancy my red cell count was low and my white cell count was high. A pediatrician looked at my baby after he was delivered deceased and reported that there was not visible problems or deformities with the babies...but the condition of the skin indicated that he had been dead for approximately one day and also that the amniotic fluid was low. Would it not had been the right thing to do to deliver the baby immediately when the ultrasound showed these issues, or at least performed a sress test on the baby, or hospitalized me instead of sending me home. Please help me with these answers. I am in Saudi Arabia, and it seems like there was gross negligenc. Thank you, Kim
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Kim I am so very sorry for your loss. When the fluid is low like this, it is called oligohydramnios. If the amniotic fluid index is less than 5, this requires immediate delivery and is an emergency. I do not know if your number was less than 5. In addition your blood pressure was too high for you to be sent home.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Your red count is often low in pregnancy due to anemia and the white count is up due to normal variation of pregnancy. This is not why you lost your baby.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 2 years ago.
Yes you are correct, you should have had an immediate c section I am so sorry for the loss of your child.