Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Was just at the OBGYN because I felt a bump which turned

Customer Question

Hi...was just at the OBGYN because I felt a bump which turned out to be a sebaceous gland. I was told warm compress and bacitracin no big deal. That same day I got my period. The following day I felt my vagina on the outside start to itch....no burning or discharge (but my period). I used the monistat 1 day last night and the external cream. Not sure if it's making a difference. I typically use tampons, but now I'm using pads. I had my second child 8 months ago and I was tested for everything, so no STD. Could it be yeast or something else. Oh I also just got over a stomach bug.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
The combination of a bump and itching could be herpes. I would consider going back to the gyn to be tested. A swab of the lesion can be done. A yeast infection is generally accompanied by some discharge and often burning. It does not sound like that is the case. You may also be getting itching from the Bacitracin. Its not the best to use in that area and will not cure a sebaceous cyst.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have had 2 children and been blood tested for herpes and i do not have that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sebaceous cyst up higher and the itching is down by the vaginal opening. Also I put tea tree oil on the cyst and I did stop. It is going away. I used Monistat externally on my vagina and the itch seems to be lessening a little.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Monistat does help most itching even if not yeast related. To treat most yeast infections, you must use the treatment intravaginally for at least 3 days.