Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

Does a Pap Smear check for a yeast infection?

Customer Question

Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
It's not an actual test for yeast infection but sometimes we can detect yeast infection on a pap.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
So sometimes the pathologist will make a comment about it in the report. But there are other more accurate tests for yeast infection. Usually we examine for typical discharge, test the pH and look under the microscope for "yeast forms".
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
The pap smear can sometimes detect yeast infections but there are better ways of diagnosis yeast infections. The pathologist may comment on seeing some yeast in the smear. But usually on exam we look for the typical curdy white discharge, test the pH and look under the microscope.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So if my girlfriend has yeast infection does that mean I need to be treated also?

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
Usually not. There are some situations if a man is not circumcised that the yeast can stay under the foreskin and be transferred back to the woman. But this doesn't happen very often and isn't really an issue if a man is circumcised.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But sometimes yes? I had doctor that said I should be treated also.

Expert:  Dr. C. replied 2 years ago.
If she is having trouble with repeated infections then yes it could help. Especially if your not circumcised.