Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I got an iud back in march and have not stopped bleeding yet.

Customer Question

I got an iud back in march and have not stopped bleeding yet. My iron count is 10.4 and my doctor says there is nothing to be done.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
It would be helpful to know which IUD you have. A Mirena? If so, you can be given some estrogen or birth control pills to try to get the bleeding to stop. Usually the bleeding will get lighter and lighter than stop, but that can take several months with an IUD.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i do have the Mirena, my doctor will not give me birth control cause i am a smoker
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Are you over 35?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No i am 33
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
You may still be given a low dose of estrogen to try to stabilize the lining. Alternatively, if you are very heavy, an extra dose of progesterone taken by mouth can help. It depends on the details of the situation.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
At age 33, we still can use BCPs. After age 35, we don't use birth control pills in smokers because of an increased risk of stroke. But below age of 35, we generally do allow smokers to use birth control pills. An extra low dose could be used.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank u so much. My pwriods before the iud was lasting up to 30 days with 10 day break
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
So the 3 choices for trying to get the bleeding under control are:1. low dose estrogen only, perhaps as little as 0.25mg of estradiol daily2. low dose birth control pills3. if you are heavy, progesterone MPA 10 mg dailyUsually the persistent bleeding with the Mirena does go away over time by itself. It tends to get lighter and lighter over time.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
So maybe the anemia is still left over from before the IUD was placed and now it is actually an improvement even though not perfect yet.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
The bleeding can be daily but eventually gets lighter and lighter with more and more no bleed days. This can take up to 5 months. After that, most women who start out with heavy bleeding before IUD placement are very happy. SO maybe it's just a matter of more patience?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes that maybe right
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
ok, Is there anything else I can help with tonight? I hope this information was helpful and reassuring so far.
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Anything else I can help with tonight? I want to be sure you get the most helpful information for your situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No that's all thanks
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
ok, I hope it eases up pretty soon and you get the relief from bleeding that you were hoping for with the Mirena. Please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback.