Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I need to stop my period by tomorrow afternoon. I just started

Customer Question

I need to stop my period by tomorrow afternoon. I just started a light flow/spotting this morning. Nothing is "flowing" yet but if I wipe there is a little pinkish red on there and I am cramping. Can I stop it using a new pack of birth control pills? I just found out that I will have to go on a Girl Scouts camp out tomorrow afternoon and will be in the middle of nowhere trying to watch/entertain/handle 25 7 year-old girls. I take Ortho Tri Cyclen. I'm on the green placebo pills now but already have my new pack. Please help me, there has to be SOMETHING I can do!!!
Category: OB GYN
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also would tampons and ibuprofen help, hurt, or do nothing either way to stop /speed things up???
Expert:  Dr. Norm S. replied 1 year ago.
Once a period starts, it can be a little difficult to stop it. However, you can probably do so by doubling, tripling, or even quadrupling your pills. I would take 2 pills now, then another one later today, then 2 tomorrow morning. Hopefully that will stop your period, and then you can continue just 1 pill daily until it's OK for your period to start. I would take the pills at the start of your pack. There are small differences in the different pills in your tri-phasic pack, but the differences aren't that much to matter. Best wishes.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How long should I wait today to take the second dose? And will it hurt/help to take ibuprofen and use tampons?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also by doing this, am I still protected against pregnancy or dose taking so many pills affect the protection against pregnancy?
I would take the second dose about 12 hours after the first.I don't think it will either help or hurt to take iburofen or use tampons.You are still protected against pregnancy.
Sorry for the delay. I'm getting used to the new format on this site.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much! Can I use my pill to skip periods also or is it only with the mono type pills?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
And you said start with the regular beginning white pills correct?
You can use your pills to skip periods. Some pills work better for this than others, but usually it's just a matter of trying any pill to see how well it works for you.Sometimes when trying to skip periods, some breakthrough bleeding might occur after a while. But it may work very well, with your pills or any other.
Yes, start with the beginning white pills.