Dr. C.
Dr. C., Board Certified
Experience:  30 years of experience and an award-winning educator.
54412793

I have had an ongoing period two months with just a few days in between without

Customer Question

I have had an ongoing period for almost two months with just a few days in between without any bleed. The color is now a dark brown and I am experiencing some pain pain the degree varies
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  DR PRABIR KUMAR DAS replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Bleeding for than one month is a serious matter.It may arise from so many reasons and a good ultrasound is absolutely necessary for diagnosis.The dark blood means old collected blood.
The reasons may
1. Pregnancy related complications
2 Hormonal imbalance
3. Uterine fibroids
4 Endometrial polyps
5 Cervical polyps
Etc
One check DC is also necessary if the USG report is normal.
Thank you
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
Hi and welcome to the site. My name is***** hope I'm able to provide some helpful medical information for you today.
I'm sorry that the cause hasn't been figured out as yet. And glad that you have another ultrasound scheduled for not too far away.
Darker blood is actually more reassuring to us than bright red blood. Dark blood is usually old blood, brown and black being signs that the blood has been sitting inside the uterus or vagina for a while before coming out. The reason this is less worrisome is that it means that you aren't having any active new bleeding going on. Just old blood still coming out.
The most common reason for abnormal bleeding pattern in your age group is hormonal but polyps or fibroids, both of which are usually not cancerous are also very common. Less common causes include liver disease, various medications and precancers or cancers. Risk of precancer or cancer is higher if a woman is obese, has a family history of uterine or colon cancer, has diabetes or has earlier in life had episodes of skipping periods.
So the bot***** *****ne is that the darkness of the blood is actually reassuring to a gynecologist. The proper next step is an ultrasound which you already have scheduled. After that depends on what the ultrasound shows but the VAST majority of the time, the cause is not cancer.
I hope this information was reassuring and helpful. Please reply if I can clarify anything or provide more details. I want to be sure you have the most helpful information for your situation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I go see a different Doctor my concern also is the pain that I am experiencing
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
A gynecologist is the correct doctor. Often when pain is present along with abnormal bleeding, it's because of a polyp or fibroid on the lining. The uterus senses the presence of the polyp or fibroid and tries to "give birth" to it. The degree of cramping pain can be intense when this is happening. Do you also already have an appointment set up with a gynecologist after the ultrasound is done?
If so, they should be able to determine if there is a gynecological cause to the pain as well.
Meanwhile if there is fever, heavy bleeding or severe pain, you should seek care sooner.
Anything else I can clarify?
Expert:  Dr. C. replied 1 year ago.
If no more questions, please leave a rating for my service. I aim for excellent and appreciate your feedback. Thanks!