Dr. K.
Dr. K., MD
Experience:  Board certified OB/GYN with 20 years of experience.
65718478

My wife gave birth little more than 3 months ago and

Customer Question

My wife gave birth little more than 3 months ago and since she's stopped bleeding and went onto doctors prescribed mini pill (mylan), she's been getting her period twice a month. My wife is almost exclusively nursing. Please advice what steps to take and what might be causing this since she always had 28 day cycle before baby and mini pill.
Category: OB GYN
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Hello, this is Dr K.. Answers are not medical advice and do not constitute a doctor/patient relationship. I look forward to helping you today.
The mini pill is a progesterone only pill. It does not regulate the cycle and can cause abnormal bleeding. If she is only nursing, she would not have a period on her own. The bleeding is not a period but is a side effect of the mini pill.
She is better off using condoms while she is nursing. The pill may cause alot of bleeding issues she would not have otherwise.